Jorge Zalszupin
Jerzy Zalszupin was born in Warsaw, Poland, in 1922, and studied architecture in Romania. When the war ended, he lived for a while in France and, in 1949, he moved to Rio de Janeiro, excited with Brazilian modern architecture images he saw on the L’Architecture d’Aujourd’Hui magazine. After unfruitful attempts of getting a job position in studios in Rio de Janeiro, with the help of fellow-countryman Luciano Korngold, also an architect, he based himself in São Paulo and acquired Brazilian citizenship, adopting the name Jorge.

Furniture design became part of his career through architecture, in the beginning by projecting individual pieces commissioned by clients whose homes he had designed. In 1959, he decided to professionalize this area of work and founded his L’Atelier studio, where he started to design furniture for small scale production. He largely used Brazilian rosewood and, when this wood became scarce, he moved to perobinha-do-campo (Sweetia elegans), with modern language echoing his regard for Scandinavian furniture.

In order to get closer to his clients, he opened a store at Conjunto Nacional at busy Avenida Paulista, in São Paulo, where Joaquim Tenreiro already had an outlet. Besides pieces designed by himself, he also started to produce licensed copies of the Hille English chair and various furniture pieces from Kartell (Italy), both using plastic. His business activities expanded with the Forsa group, including L’Atelier, Hevea (plastic objects) and Labo (computer equipment). In the late 1980s, he turned to architecture and fine arts.


----------
Credits:
Text - Adélia Borges
Images - Julio Dui



voltar home